July 2010 Issue


July 1:      Barring protest rally by Asiya Andrabi and some minor incidents, situation remained generally peaceful as curfew and curfew like restrictions continued in major towns of the Valley. DC Jammu initiated action against three English dailies Early Times, Glimpses of Future and the Shadow for a story about a Hindu religious place at Anantnag. Terrorists struck in Sudhmahadev and killed a civilian. Two Army jawans were killed as an infiltration bid was foiled on Macchil sector. More para-military and Armed Police was withdrawn from districts to strengthen security for Amarnath yatris.

July 2:      Curfew was extended to more areas as 60 persons, including 23 policemen, were injured in fresh protests. Terming people of Kashmir part of ‘my flesh and blood’, Omar Abdullah accused PDP of instigating stone-pelting and warned ‘perpetuators, instigators and facilitators” of violence of stern action. Arms and ammunition was recovered from Fatehpur, Rajouri. An HM terrorist, who was claimed to have crossed over after hearing about surrender policy and change of heart, has turned out to be a hardcore terrorist and was separated from his under aged wife and lodged in different jails.

July 3:      Four infiltrators were killed on LoC in Kupwara, though curfew was lifted from several areas, the life remained paralysed in the Valley amidst minor protests. A fake Sadhu Aman Khan of Roorkee, UP was arrested from Ram temple as he entered the temple on fake name of Aman Sharma. Two suspects of Handwara were arrested from a lodge at Ragunath Bazar. Eight Pakistani terrorists have reportedly sneaked into Banihal area. SAYSS bandh evokes little response in Jammu. Mirwaiz asked for political solution to Kashmir problem.

July 4:      There was semblance of normalcy in the Valley as police crackdown on stone pelters. PK expressed concern over Valley situation and demanded delinking of employment package from return at the earliest.

July 5:      Separatists march to South Kashmir was foiled as Valley witnessed curfew and restrictions. Omar Abdullah favoured opening of Uri-Muzaffrabad road for all people and initiation of political dialogue. Associate of an LeT district Comdr was arrested in Kishtwar. Mobile phones have also helped to trap terrorists as security agencies intercept their conversation.

July 6:      Army was called out and indefinite curfew imposed in Srinagar as four protesters, including a woman, were killed in fresh protests. Two BSF jawans were killed and a civilian injured as Pak Rangers opened fire in Pargwal sector. AK Antony said that infiltration attempts are on rise. PoK Prime Minister Raja Farooq Haider asked Pakistan to resolve “small and controversial issues” before sorting out the issue of Kashmir.

July 7:      Prime Minister reviewed Kashmir situation at a high level meeting and the Union Home Secretary GK Pillai was rushed to Kashmir as Army staged flag march and curfew was strictly enforced. Kashmir Bar Association president Mian Qayoom was detained under PSA and rushed to Hiranagar Jail. Omar Abdullah spoke to PM, HM and DM. Eight cops were attached in Anantnag killings case. Congress blamed separatists for creating tension Spl. DG BSF said that protest will be lodged at highest level for cease-fire violations as more mortars were fired on IB and tension grips border areas.

July 8:      Curfew was imposed in more areas as Centre talked tough and Omar Abdullah calls for ‘All Party Meet’ on Monday. Centre is mulling idea of initiating dialogue after normalcy LK Advani termed situation worrisome RDX and grenades were seized in Mendhar encounter as two to three terrorists are believed to have escaped from the encounter. Intercepts suggest involvement of Hurriyat in recent protests.

July 9:      75 kg explosive powder and six IEDs were seized from Chatroo, Kishtwar while two HM operatives were arrested in Ramban with  Hawala money. Three security personnel were injured in terrorist attacks in Sopore, Baramulla curfew was relaxed in light of Shab-e-Mehraj celebrations even if fresh transcripts suggest cross-LoC linkage to the trouble. LeT and HM Comdrs have been reportedly shifted to Valley.

July 10:    Terrorists gunned down a civilian in Doda while a terrorist was arrested in Kishtwar and arms recovered in Reasi. 30 stone pelters and a separatist were detained as curfew was lifted in Kashmir barring Pulwama.

July 11:    Two top LeT Comdrs were killed in two different operations in Kishwan, Kishtwar and Kalaklote, Rajouri while seven were reportedly at large. BSF lodged protests with Rangers for cross-border firing. Curfew was lifted but restrictions continue in Valley as NC. Congress MLAs rally behind Omar Abdullah and PDP ignores PM’s advice to attend All Party meet. Army chief attributed present unrest to the inability to build on the gains in Kashmir. Ministry of Home Affairs calls telcos meet on SIMS misuse as 65% of sample survey suggest gross violation of verification directive.

July 12:    All Party meet asked for injuring into deaths and PM’s intervention. Searches are on in Mendhar after terrorist’ activity in the area. MHA talked tough on SIM  verification in Jammu.

July 13:    An Army Major was killed and six armymen including a Colonel injured in Mendhar encounter as two Let  terrorists are believed dead and four others are reportedly at large. Separatists  march was foiled by restrictions as life remained paralysed on the Martyrs’ Day in the Valley. The claims of alertness were dented as PM’s fake Advisor was arrested after enjoying security and hospitality by Punjab and Jammu police alongwith his team. Army chief said that trouble in J&K is instigated across the border.

July 14:    Massive searches continued in Mendhar and an LeT Comdr was gunned down in Kishtwar. The strike paralysed Kashmir. On his arrival in Pakistan, SM Krishan said it is time to act against terror.

July 15:    Two more terrorists were killed in Beri-Rakh forests in Mendhar and recovered large quantity of arms and ammunition Pak violates cease-fire in Poonch sector. Life remained paralysed on the 10th consecutive day in Valley. A Colonel and a Major were among 11 chargesheeted in fake Machil encounter. Omar Abdullah appealed for peace. No breakthrough in Indo-Pak foreign minister’s meeting as the two took diametrically opposite stands on Kashmir, terrorism and Balochistan even at customary joint press conference.

July 16:    A Major and two jawans were injured and two to four terrorists remained at large as the Beri-Rakh operation entered 5th day. An LeT terrorist was arrested in Kishtwar. Life remained paralysed on 11th day in Valley as curfew was reimposed in many areas. India described terror as the biggest obstacle in normalising ties; SM Krishna briefed PM as Indo-Pak dialogue runs into acrimony.

July 17:    A JCO and a jawan were killed and searches extended to Bhati Dhar and Thera Topa as army claimed that the besieged terrorists are trained in jungle warfare. Another LeT terrorist was arrested in Kishtwar. Army busted a terrorist hide-out in Uri and recovered arms and ammunition. Two JeM terrorists have been detained under PSA by Udhampur administration Valley witnessed half day’s normalcy after 11 days as Geelani relaxed agitation. Omar Abdullah met PM, HM and Sonia Gandhi and demanded sustained dialogue  at internal and external fronts and employment package for the youth as the leaders appreciated measures of handling the situation and extended full support to the CM.

July 18:    A terrorist was shot dead in Kishtwar while searches continue in Mendhar. Shabnan, the wife of recently killed LeT Distt Comdr Isaq Bhat, turned out to be a top terrorist. Two IEDs were detected and defused in Baramulla and Anatnag districts and searches were initiated in Garoora, Bandipore after reported presence of terrorists. Curfew like situations continued in many areas of  Valley; the situation remained tense after a boy, who jumped in Jhelum in Baramulla alongwith two others after police chase, remained untraced. An Army jawan Jatinder Singh has reportedly gone missing alongwith his service gun from Kreri sector in Rajouri.

July 19:    One persons was killed and several others injured in fresh protests as the body of the missing youth was fished out. People alleged that the boy was pushed into the river by an SPO and demanded action against the SPO. LeT Comdr Zarr was gunned down in Bandipore. Beri-Rakh operation that continued for eight days as remaining terrorists reportedly managed their escape even as Army mooted permanent shelters and fencing to deny shelter to terrorists in the areas. Standing by his remarks on J&K, Army chief said that troops need AFSPA protection.

July 20:    Two terrorists and an Army jawan were killed in Sopore as uneasy clam prevailed in the Valley amidst curfew and restrictions. BSF foiled an intrusion bid in Pargwal sector. An Army jawan committed suicide inside a camp in Trehgam, Kupwra. Close on the heels of GK Pillai’s disclosure in light of David Headly’s revelations, NSA Shiv Shankar Menon, without naming Pakistan, said that the nexus between terrorists, official establishment and intelligence agencies is ‘getting stronger’ and “a much harder phenomenon” to deal with. After recovery of 13 SIM cards from four terrorists, police has decided to invoke anti-militancy provisions; one card belonged to Pakistani Company Jazz.

July 21:    Terrorists killed a shopkeeper and kidnapped a contractor in Kishtwar while an HM terrorist was arrested in Banihal. Life

remained paralysed on the 16th day in Valley. Pak Army and Rangers resorted to firing for five long hours in Arnia sector. One of the terrorist killed in Sopore was identified as foreigner Noman, who was responsible for planning Fidayeen attack at Lal Chowk earlier and several killings including local terrorist Basharat Saleem.

July 22:    Two terrorists were killed in an encounter in Handwara, Kupwara. Terrorists have shot dead kidnapped contractor. The contractor had been tortured and beheaded and his body was recovered from forests in Liddheri area. Curfew was lifted in Baramulla and Sopore and restrictions eased elsewhere as there was relative clam. The Valley. NC Working Committed favoured talks with separatists, autonomy, release of political detenue but asked for dealing firmly with destabilising forces.

July 23:    An Army jawan was killed and a Naib Subedar injured in a blast near LoC in Mendhar sector. Army and police recovered a large quantity of explosives in Banihal and thwarted t a terror-plot to target Amarnath Yatra. Valley was put again under curfew and restriction to foil the March to Khanqah-e-Molla by Geelani’s Hamid. BSNL deactivated 4 lac pre-paid connections as the subscribers did not turn up for re-verification.

July 24:    Four CRPF jawans were injured in a grenade attack on their bunker at Batmaloo, Srinagar. Curfew was lifted after signs of improvement even though Hurriyat-G called for another week of shut down. In his address to National Development Commission (NDC), CM Omar Abdullah reiterated pursuing inclusive dialogue with diverse political opinion in the state alongside negotiations with Pakistan and amendments to AFSPA to rebuild trust and faith in young hearts and minds. EPICs have once again reached terrorists who use them for SIM cards and shifting hide-outs.

July 25:    An LeT terrorist, arrested for shooting at a youth in Punzla, Baramulla, allegedly committed suicide in police lock-up. In last three weeks, Valley observed first full day normal life. After rehabilitation policy for surrendered terrorists, proposed policy for the terrorist across LoC and border, J&K government has sought clearance for rehabilitation of 20,000 ex-militants. NHRC has sought full jurisdiction in J&K.

July 26:    An HM terrorist was killed and his associate injured in an encounter at Anyar in Marwah, Kishtwar. 15 people were injured as strike crippled life again in Valley. 18 GCTVs commissioned at Katra, and Bhawan. CM Omar Abdullah said that he always raised voice of J&K people in Delhi and is not a person who speaks one language in Delhi and another at Srinagar. The leaked documents titled ‘The War Logs’ suggest that ISI support continues to Taliban even as the US pumps billions as aid to its key allay in war against terror.

July 27:    A cop shot at and injured two of his colleagues inside an SoG camp in Pattan, Baramulla. Following Geelani’s calander, normal life returned to Valley for a day. The Government Constituted Commission of Inquiry (COI) to probe recent civilian casualties. The two member commission headed by Justice (Retd.) Basher-ud-Din and Justice (Retd.) Y.P. Nargotra as its members will submit its report within three months. The cabinet also approved a relief package of one lakh and employment of Rs five lakh to the next of kin of the civilians killed since June 11, 2010 as one time exception. The LoK Sabha was informed that 740, ultras tried to infiltrate into J&K since January 2009.

July 28:    Six OGWs were arrested from Shopian district. A cop, arrested under NDPS Act, escaped police custody and the alleged conspirator-cop was suspended and arrested. Strike again paralysed life in Valley. Omar Abdullah said that when democratic means are available to register protests there is no reason of perpetrating violence and putting general public to hardships and difficulties.

July 29:    Violence continued across Kashmir Valley as PDP locked ‘Civil Sect’ to protest against the alleged continuous “siege” by the government on people of Kashmir. Pak CDs on making IEDs were recovered on the behest of two Kashmir terrorists, arrested from a lodge at Ragunath Bazar, Jammu. The terrorists had tried to pose as computer students. Two cop who had escaped from police custody was re-arrested. British Prime Minister David Cameron said that existence of terror groups like Let on Pakistani soil was “not acceptable” and it must eliminate them to end terrorism in India.

July 30:    Four people were killed an 70 people including security men, were injured in violence across Kashmir valley where public property was damaged by the violent protestors. Acknowledging the situation was not yet normal, P.Chidambaram said that Centre is ready to talk to anyone. Going tough on SIM card fraud, police was asked to book the dealers under stringent laws.

July 31:    Curfew failed to prevent violence as two more people were killed in firing and public property, including Rly Station, Security Camps, IAF vehicle set on fire. An infiltration bid was foiled in Krishan Ghati sector as Pakistani again violated cease-fire to push infiltrators. After seizure of SIM cards from terrorists, Airtel and Aircel dealers were booked by CI wing of J&K police.